What is Zirconium Coating?
Zirconium is a naturally-extracted white metal. In zirconium coatings, the material forming the infrastructure beneath the porcelain is zirconium dioxide. Zirconium is more resistant to stress and tension compared to classical, metal-based porcelain coatings. As it can be considered friendly to the mouth tissue, it does not cause any allergies and has become a frequently preferred material in recent years.
How is the zirconium coating process implemented?
In order to get healthy and aesthetic results with zirconium coating, gum health should be reviewed in the first stage. After the treatment of gums and healing process, the teeth would be examined aesthetically. If the laughing line of the patient is high, the gum level is balanced appropriately. After the treatment and shaping process, approximately 1-2 mm of the teeth are cut. These teeth are measured with special impression devices and are sent to the laboratory. Based on the obtained measures, design and production is are undertaken in the digital laboratory environment. The in-house rehearsal of the zirconium substructure is followed by the fitting of the porcelain superstructure. After final arrangements, coatings with a polished and smooth surface are adhered to the teeth.
Why zirconium is preferred in coatings?
- Zirconium gives a very natural look. For this reason, it is the preference of patients with high expectation of aesthetics. The grey discolorations around gum level observed in classical metal-based protheses will not occur in zirconium use.
- Zirconium provides a more long-lasting solution due to better compatibility with the gum compared to metal-based porcelains.
- Since zirconium provides thermal insulation, it is highly preferred by patients with sensitivity problems. Zirconium is not affected much from heat changes and provides a more comfortable eating experience to the patient.
- As zirconium is resistant to bending, it also provides long-lasting use.
What are the advantages of zirconium teeth?
- Since the light permeability is similar to natural teeth, the opaque appearance formed in teeth with metal substructure does not occur in zirconium. It is possible to obtain an aesthetic-looking result that cannot be distinguished from natural teeth.
- Zirconium is a white metal, therefore, grey/purple discoloration near gum level will not be observed in zirconium compared to metal-based porcelain.
- As it provides impeccable hot-cold insulation, patients can eat comfortably without worrying about heat changes due to sensitivity.
- Since it has the feature of masking the subcolor, it does not reflect the original dark color even when the cover is placed on the dark teeth and provides the desired aesthetic result.
- Since it does not contain any metals, it does not cause a change in taste in the mouth.
- Since the zirconium coating surface is completely polished and smooth, it does not hold onto any food residue or stain. Thus, the colour will remain the same at all times. No colour change will be observed due to usage.
What is the cost of zirconium teeth treatment?
Zirconium is a structure that requires fine technical precision during laboratory production as well as in the construction stage. After design is completed digitally, zirconium blocks are excavated in 3D shapes. Recently, low-quality zircon blocks have been introduced by the Chinese and Korean markets in order to reduce the costs. However, these zircons provide unsuccessful results concerning compatibility and aesthetics. Therefore, they are only considered to be comparable to short-lived prostheses. A better decision would be to use to the zirconium provided by world-reowned prestigious brands instead of using mouth-incompatible short-lived prostheses. To make our patients happy in terms of both aesthetics and durability, we use certified zirconium blocks of German origin for our protheses in the clinic.
Can the zirconium coating be applied on the implants?
Zirconium coatings can be used in single tooth coating and bridge construction as well as protheses covering implants.
How should one take care of zirconium teeth?
As in our own teeth, it is important to care for zirconium teeth regularly. To do this, brush your teeth and gums twice and supplement your oral care with a special dental floss for your zirconium bridges. In addition, dentist check-ups every 6 months would result in comfortable use of your zirconium teeth.
Is the zirconium teeth procedure painful?
Since the teeth are cut under local anesthesia, no pain would be experienced.
Is there any problem in aesthetics after cutting teeth?
Immediately after the cutting process, the temporary teeth are prepared on the same day. By this means, an aesthetically pleasing appearance is obtained, and potential tenderness of the teeth is prevented.
How many days does it take for zirconium teeth to be prepared?
Zirconium teeth procedure takes around 7-10 days, given the presence of healthy gum.